Annoying FreeBSD > 4.11 ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA mobo incompability

From: Kimmo Alm <kimmoa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:58:39 +0200
Hey,

My ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA won't work in FreeBSD versions over 4.x. I have
tested 5.x, 6.x and even a current 7.x one.

CD: "bootonly".
Problem: Loads kernel, and then basically freezes, overwriting characters
on the screen (at the boot menu with the options).

Among the zillions of things I've tested to solve this problem include:
Testing another videocard (PCI -- not on-board), testing without the S-ATA
enabled, updated BIOS to the latest version (hardware made in 2004 and
last BIOS update in late 2005), changing a ton of settings in the BIOS,
installing the OS on another box and moving the HDD... Nothing works.

The hardware cannot possibly not faulty as it can run Debian Linux or
FreeBSD 4.11 perfectly well. That's right. No probbies there. But I don't
want to run Linux and I don't want to run legacy FreeBSD...

I don't know what else to say... I have really, really did my best and
tested every potentional solution. No luck.

I am now asking you to please look into this and perhaps come up with some
kind of solution/patch. This is a standard hardware server motherboard,
which apparently has won a lot of awards for being so great and flexible
on top of that! It really makes little sense to me that this would not be
supported by FreeBSD!

Also check out the Usenet thread with extra info:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/browse_thread/thread/c9f5097c099d1e71/ea90c898595972e6?hl=en&

Thank you for reading this.