Re: Annoying FreeBSD > 4.11 ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA mobo incompability

From: Rink Springer <rink_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:57:01 +0200
Hi Kimmo,

> My ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA won't work in FreeBSD versions over 4.x. I have
> tested 5.x, 6.x and even a current 7.x one.

Try disabling the RAID BIOS; I have an ASUS PCH-DR which shows exactly
the same behaviour. Once I got rid of the on-board Promise RAID (Just
removing the drives did the trick), it would no longer install its BIOS
then and things would work perfectly.

I had exactly the same symptoms you describe (overwriting screen
charachters, freezes etc).

Seems to me the RAID BIOS is broken in same way. However, I have not yet
found a way to upgrade it. Linux worked in my case as well, but it does
not seem to support the RAID out-of-box (I couldn't get it to work with
a vanilla kernel, anyway), which hints even stronger that it is the
cause of the evil... no clue why FreeBSD 4.x works, though.

Good luck, let me know if this works.

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
  "Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!