Re: HEADS-UP: removed COMPAT_43 from GENERIC (and other configs)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:01:58 +0000
In message <20060618084016.GA44510_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz>, Divacky Roman writes:

>well.. you can never be sure but my point stands still - COMPAT_43TTY is
>basically a bunch of tty-related ioctls so I dont see why apps like (gtar which
>doesnt touch tty at all) should fail..

I guess you didn't get the memo (attached).

Poul-Henning

Welcome to the wonderful world of AutoCrap[tm]!

   By applying an ill-advised methodology developed by inferior minds
   in the 1980ies to deal with incompatible operating systems from
   narrowminded vendors, AutoCrap[tm] is guaranteed to turn even
   the most portable source code into a unportable mess.

   AutoCrap[tm] employs a plethora of checks for features no longer
   in existence on any running operating system, even if your software
   package does not actually come close to using that feature.

   By turning all AutoCrap[tm] infected sortware packages into totally
   unreadable messes of #ifdefs, AutoCrap[tm] will seem like the only
   feasible way to write portable code.

   Upon seeing AutoCrap[tm] for the first time 99 out of 100 users
   or programmers out there will cry out in despair "This portability
   thing looks SOOO hard, thank goodness for AutoCrap[tm]"

   AutoCrap[tm] sports an infection of options which nobody, including
   the AutoCrap[tm] developers, can give any good reason why you
   might want to apply, but even so, these options provide the 100%
   sure defence: "You just need to set the right options" against
   any people in a fit of insight or even actually wisdom might
   claim that AutoCrap[tm] actually decreases software portability.

   AutoCrap[tm] -- because we otherwise anybody could port software!