Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:49:39 -0500
On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 06:16:40PM -0400 I heard the voice of
J.R. Oldroyd, and lo! it spake thus:

> I have some notes about Unicode support on FreeBSD here:
>
> http://opal.com/freebsd/unicode.html

Oddly enough, I took this as an excuse to try fiddling with running
UTF-8 again.  Interestingly, that page actually got mutt working right
(my previous tries involved using slang instead of ncurses, which is
SUPPOSED to work, but never did).  However, I still hit an issue with
xterm.

I set the fonts, turn off the 'locale' and on the 'utf8' resources
(these steps being necessary to get it to work right).  And then, it
seems to work as long as I DON'T set the locale in the shell invoking
it.  Compare what I see from your linked utf8demo.txt from `xterm`[0]
versus `env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm`[1].

[0] http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/dl/wc/works.png
[1] http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/dl/wc/doesnt.png

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net