Re: VESA Framebuffer

From: FreeLSD <freelsd_at_rea.mbslab.kiae.ru>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:21:03 +0300
> For that you can just build a kernel with "options VESA" and then use
> "vidcontrol VESA_800x600" (for example) to have graphical console.
>
> But what for? Isn't it a purely linux toy?
 No, not a toy: it is useful when your console is capable to do more than
80x25 without going to Xorg. I used to use it on my notebook, but I retired
using it, because I need 1024x768 and it can be set only via vidcontrol.
And vidcontrol cleans some amount of text buffer on the ttyv0 and some
output from the startup services is lost. It will be great if this will
be fixed.

 Just an example why graphical console can be useful on FreeBSD.
--
Yours, LSD

In the beginning the universe was created.  This has widely been
regarded as a bad move.  -Douglas Adams