Was: SOLVED: Re: HowTo?: Current -> RELENG_6_0 Patch for "semaphore timeout !! DANGER Will Robinson !!" issue with Promise Fasttrak Raid 0/1 Card

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert_at_pubnix.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:33:30 -0500
    Well no quite,

    The short form is does anybody has a working setup with a PDC20580
(Fasttrak 2300) and WD's drives?

    I think either the FT2300 is a joke or WD's are just not the right
choice for real computing.
    (They might be good for gaming and windoze...  Aint much productive
for me)

-----

    The long form:

With RELENG_6

    WD1600JS are just making too many errors (every few minutes at heavy
load).

    WD2500KS (which are suppose to be the RAID approuve ones make some
errors (every hours at heavy load)).

    Effect Disk I/O stop for a few seconds, until the situation get
resolved by the driver.

    FYI it should be the same with CURRENT.  Didn't try it but I could.

With RELENG_6_0

    Got those Will Robinson Messages.

    Effect Disk I/O is just frozen and one must push the big red button.

With RELENG_5_4 (which works with a PDC20378 with 2 x ST3160023AS)

    Raid just fail (at the first error) and randomly drop one of the 2
drive.

    The server still works.

------

    What is heavy load?  4 iozone + a find /

--
Alain Hebert                                ahebert_at_pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.