Re: Gotchas to Downgrade from 7.0-CURRENTto FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:04:59 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20060313155744.worp8zmh8g4g0o8w_at_mail.bafirst.com>
            eculp_at_bafirst.com writes:
: Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com>:
:
: > In message: <20060311213529.epb13ogpggk00ws0_at_mail.bafirst.com>
: >            eculp_at_bafirst.com writes:
: > : I've lost track a bit of the differences between current and
: > : 6.1-prerelease.  I don't remember anything major that would cause
: > : problems.  Does anyone know of a potential gotcha or have suggestions
: > : the smooth the pathe or has done this since the freeze?
: > :
: > : The machine that I am going to downgrade is my wife's and I don't
: > : really want to recompile roughly 540 ports that are installed but . . .
: > : , if need be . . . . ;) Problems with the linuxpluginwrapper port in
: > : current started this.  She likes to have her flash and pdf in the
: > : browser even though all the other plugins that she uses work.  I think
: > : she will probably prefer the stability of RELENG_6 in the long run.
: >
: > There are two areas where there will be problems.  First is shared
: > libraries.  Many of them have, iirc, been bumped in -current.  Be
: > careful here.
: >
: > Second, there may be kernel issues where while doing the downgrade you
: > could hose yourself.  Esp in the area of mounting /.
: >
: > My suggestion is do the following for the downgrade (this order is
: > different than a normal upgrade, and really isn't supported, so #2
: > below is extra important):
: >
: > 	(1) Buildworld of RELENG_6
: > 	(2) full dump, or cope w/o.
: > 	(3) installworld of RELENG_6	Yes, before install kernel
: > 	(4) install kernel
: > 	(5) reboot
: > 	(6) find all the shared libraries whose version has gone
: > 	    backwards using ls -l and comparing times.  Delete new
: > 	    versions.  They may interfere with new port building
: > 	(7) Rebuild all ports from scratch.  Maybe consider installing
: > 	    them from packages, or at least the portupgrade series.
: > 	    make sure you force a recompile of all ports via portupgrade.
: >
: > If, at any point after #2 you are hozed, fall back to #2 and try
: > again.  Alternatively, do a fresh install after #2 and grab your data
: > files from step #2.  Build everything you need.
: >
: > : thanks for your warnings, observations and suggestions,
: >
: > I've done this half way between 6.0-RELEASE and today with a -current
: > that was a little too green for the hardware it was on.  I was anal
: > beyond belief to make sure that nothing from the date of the last
: > -current install was left on the system after I was done.  The above
: > is from memory, and your milage may vary.
:
: Warner, thanks for confirming my concerns.  I'm going to give it a try
: and if it doesn't work, I'll just do a clean install and rebuild the
: ports.  That almost sounds like the best idea, more than anything else,
: for housecleaning but less fun ;).

It is a point of pride with me that I never resort to a binary
install.  However, it is often the best thing to do, my hubris
notwithstanding.

Warner