Re: skype (Was: Re: flash and firefox)

From: Panagiotis Astithas <past_at_ebs.gr>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:36:49 +0200
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Graham Todd <gtodd_at_bellanet.org> wrote:
>
>> One other compat application that rarely works correctly on FreeBSD for
>> me is Skype. It could be a problem between screen and chair of course,
>> but if anyone with a working setup for these apps has thoroughly
>> documented how they did things, I'd gladly RTFM :)
>
> Which FreeBSD version, which sound driver, which problems?
>
> If you experience "strange sound" problems, and you don't use a recent
> RELENG_6 or -current ("recent" as in "with the improved sound system as of
> 2-4 months ago"): upgrade to RELENG_6 or a recent -current.
>
> If you have a recent RELENG_6 or -current and still experience strange
> sound
> problems, please tell us on multimedia_at_ which soundcard you use and which
> strange sound problems you have.

I've been experiencing a "strange sound problem" with skype. I don't get
any audible alerts when I have incoming calls or chat messages. The
device is correctly defined (/dev/dsp), the sound files are installed in
/usr/X11R6/share/skype/sound, yet they don't seem to get played. The
voice calls work great though.

Cheers,

Panagiotis