Re: cc can't build 32-bit executables on amd64

From: Jonathan Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:55:58 -0400
Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> понед╕лок 01 травень 2006 17:25, Paul Allen написав:
>> This was originally mentioned in amd64/76224 which was closed by obrien
>> with the terse remark: "We don't yet support building 32-bit apps on a
>> 64-bit system. We only barely support *running* them at this point."
>
> I may be missing something huge, but, it seems to me, that my little patch is
> sufficient to point cc to the right direction. With it I can create 32-bit
> executables. Thus created lame, for example (from the audio/lame port) works
> and happily converts mp3 files (using assembler-optimized routines available
> only for 32-bit i386).

Did you miss the previous reply which mentioned using '-B/usr/lib32
-B/usr/local/lib32' in addition to '-m32'?  From gcc(1):
The run-time support file 'libgcc.a' is also searched for using the '-B'
prefix, if needed.  If it is not found there, the two standard prefixes
above are tried, and that is all.  The file is left out of the link if
it is not found by those means.  Most of the time, on most machines,
'libgcc.a' is not actually necessary.

-Jonathan