SAMBA issues

From: Kariuki Kaboro <kariukiphares_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 07:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
  I am running FreeBSD 5.4, however, I fall under the category of a  "newbie". I have run into some issues... I installed samba 2.2.12. I  got errors first to do with the loopback adaptor which i was able to  eventually figure out.. however, the biggest problem has been that I am  unable to access my machine from windows computers and my config seems  OK. Kindly have a look _at_ it and if you can tell me where I am going  wrong....

  =====================================================>>>

  # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
  # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
  # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
  # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
  #
  # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
  # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
  # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
  # may wish to enable
  #
  # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
  # to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
  #
  #======================= Global Settings =====================================
  [global]

  # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
  netbios name = ajay
  workgroup = SOCRATES

  # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
     server string = ajay

  #socket = 192.168.170.3
  log file = /var/log/log.%m
  # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
  # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
  # following example restricts access to two C class networks and
  # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
  # the smb.conf man page
  ;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

  # If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
  # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
     load printers = yes

  # you may wish to override the location of the printcap file
  ;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

  # on SystemV system setting printcap name to lpstat should allow
  # you to automatically obtain a printer list from the SystemV spool
  # system
  ;   printcap name = lpstat

  # It should not be necessary to specify the print system type unless
  # it is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
  # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
  ;   printing = bsd

  # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
  # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  ;  guest account = pcguest

  # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
  # that connects
     log file = /var/log/log.%m

  # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
     max log size = 50

  # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
  # security_level.txt for details.
     security = user

  # Use password server option only with security = server
  # The argument list may include:
  #   password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
  # or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
  #   password server = *
  ;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

  # Note: Do NOT use the now deprecated option of "domain controller"
  # This option is no longer implemented.

  # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
  # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
  # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  ;  encrypt passwords = yes

  # Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
  # on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
  # of the machine that is connecting
  ;   include = /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.%m

  # Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
  # See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
  # You may want to add the following on a Linux system:
  #         SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
  #   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

  # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
  # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
  # here. See the man page for details.
  ;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

  # Browser Control Options:
  # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
  # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
     local master = yes

  # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
  # elections. The default value should be reasonable
     os level = 65

  # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
  # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
  # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
     domain master = yes

  # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
  # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
     preferred master = yes

  #Miscellaneous Options
  ;socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

  #Dont show files starting with dots
  hide dot files = yes

  #Do not allow Guest Access, use only local sytem accounts.
  security = user
  guest ok = no
  invalid users = bin daemon sys man postfix mail ftp
  admin users = _at_domadm,

  #Domain Administrators
  ;domain admin group = _at_domadm
  ;domain admin users = _at_domadm, root

  # Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
  # Windows95 workstations.
     domain logons = yes

  # if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
  # per user logon script
  # run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
    ; logon script = %m.bat
  # run a specific logon batch file per username
    ;  logon script = %U.bat

  #General Logon Script in Dos Format
  logon script = netlogon.bat

  # Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
  #        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
  #        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
     logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

  # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
  # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
     wins support = yes

  # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
  #       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
  ;   wins server = w.x.y.z

  # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
  # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
  # at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
  ;   wins proxy = yes

  # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
  # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
  # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
     dns proxy = no

  # Client codepage settings

  # for Greek users
  ; client code page=737

  # for European users (Latin 1)
  ; client code page=850

  # for European users (Latin 2)
  ; client code page=852

  # for Icelandic users
  ; client code page=861

  # for Cyrillic users
  ; client code page=866

  # for Japanese Users
  ; client code page=932
  ; coding system=cap

  # for Simplified Chinese Users
  ; client code page=936
  ; coding system=cap

  # for Korean Users
  ; client code page=949
  ; coding system=cap

  # for Traditional Chinese Users
  ; client code page=950
  ; coding system=cap

  #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
  [homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writeable = yes
  # Un-comment the following two lines to add a recycle bin facility to a samba share
  # NOTE: It currently doesn't work with the [homes] virtual share, use a regular share instead
  ;  vfs object = /usr/local/lib/samba/recycle.so
  ;  vfs options= /usr/local/etc/recycle.conf.default

  # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
   [netlogon]
     comment = Network Logon Service
     path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
     guest ok = no
     browseable = no
     writeable = no
     share modes = no
     valid users = _at_domadm, _at_domusers

  # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
  # the default is to use the user's home directory
  [Profiles]
      path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
      browseable = no
      guest ok = no
      create mask = 0700
      directory mask = 0700
      valid users = root, _at_domadm, _at_domusers

  # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
  # specifically define each individual printer
  [printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/samba
     browseable = no
  # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
     guest ok = no
     writeable = no
     printable = yes

  # This one is useful for people to share files
  ;[tmp]
  ;   comment = Temporary file space
  ;   path = /tmp
  ;   read only = no
  ;   public = yes

  # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
  # the "staff" group
  [public]
     comment = Public Stuff
     path = /home/samba/public
     public = yes
     writeable = yes
     printable = no
     write list = _at_staff

  # Other examples.
  #
  # A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
  # home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
  # wherever it is.
  ;[fredsprn]
  ;   comment = Fred's Printer
  ;   valid users = fred
  ;   path = /homes/fred
  ;   printer = freds_printer
  ;   public = no
  ;   writeable = no
  ;   printable = yes

  # A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
  # access to the directory.
  ;[fredsdir]
  ;   comment = Fred's Service
  ;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
  ;   valid users = fred
  ;   public = no
  ;   writeable = yes
  ;   printable = no

  # a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
  # this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
  # also use the %U option to tailor it by user name.
  # The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
  ;[pchome]
  ;  comment = PC Directories
  ;  path = /usr/pc/%m
  ;  public = no
  ;  writeable = yes

  # A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
  # created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
  # any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
  # directory must be writeable by the default user. Another user could of course
  # be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
  ;[public]
  ;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
  ;   public = yes
  ;   only guest = yes
  ;   writeable = yes
  ;   printable = no
  # Un-comment the following two lines to add a recycle bin facility to a samba share
  ;  vfs object = /usr/local/lib/samba/recycle.so
  ;  vfs options= /usr/local/etc/recycle.conf.default

  # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
  # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In this
  # setup, the directory should be writeable by both users and should have the
  # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
  # as many users as required.
  ;[myshare]
  ;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
  ;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared