Re: deadlock every 15-20 min

From: Christian S.J. Peron <csjp_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 10:25:14 -0500
This is very similar to the UID/GID filtering problem. What appears to
be happening is on the inbound path, we pickup the pfil lock and attempt
to pickup the inp info lock, while on the outbound path, we hold the inp
info lock across ip_output which will try to pickup the pfil lock.

This problem is the result of a layering violation, in reality the
firewall should not be picking up layer 4 related locks. Myself and a
few others have been discussing this problem for quite some time now,
and hopefully it won't be long before we can come up with a solution
that will make everyone happy.

For now, you should be able to set debug.mpsafenet to  0 which will
re-enable Giant in the network stack, in theory preventing the deadlock.

debug.mpsafenet=0

in your loader.conf

Let me know if this helps