Re: [patch] new moused and psm patchset

From: Jordan Sissel <psionic_at_csh.rit.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:38:34 -0400
On 21 May 2006 at 12:04, Peter Carah <pete_at_altadena.net> wrote:
> Jordan Sissel wrote:
> > I need some folks to test and criticize my work thus far for a
> > replacement mouse input system.
> >

> I fixed this to apply to 6-stable with only a little trouble (I have a laptop
> with synaptics pad that is unpleasant to use with the current driver...)
> Once I figured out that I needed TWO modules (synaptics and sysmouse) in
> moused, and modified /etc/rc.d/moused to not use incompatible args - the other
> guy's reply about ignoring -p and such DO matter :-) things worked pretty well.
>  Thunderbird will not extend a selection and PAN has trouble with scroll bars
> in very full newsgroups.
>
> I can try to get a 6.x version of the patchset; AFAIK the main work that
> remains all goes into moused...
>
> style(9), Giant aren't my department (yet).
> My kernel-fu is weak too :-( (though I have to do some kernel tweaks for linux
> at work in the next week or so; it may get better.)
>
> I can use the uhid driver too (laptop doesn't have an external ps2 connector).
>
> The alps pad is very common.  Fortunately most pads should at least work with
> generic.

Cool! I actually use this on my laptop that runs 6.x. It was developed
against 6.x (started with 5.3 though), so having it work in 6.xland
should be simple.

ALPS is on my list of drivers to port up from the old mouse stuff. I
don't have any hardware that uses it though, so I'll table it until I
have something.

I'm hoping to have a new patchset with more features available for
testing in a few weeks. I'm in the middle of moving and finishing school
so I don't have time to write much code.

Patches are welcome, if you want to write any. If you have perforce
access, you can pull the latest versions of my code from the freebsd
perforce depot: //depot/user/jls

Thanks for helping to test this!
-Jordan