Re: FreeBSD's embedded agenda

From: Michael Sierchio <kudzu_at_tenebras.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:29:06 -0700
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> For smaller systems, an additive approach would make more sense

Amen.  For larger systems, too, IMHO.  I've been saying this for
years, but even those things which we think of as necessary for
most installs (MTA, DNS, toolchain) should be packages.

The task of paring down what's in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin,
followed by removing anything in /usr/lib that isn't reported as
a dependency by ldd, has been a constant tedium.