Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:10:27 -0700
On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 01:20:13AM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >g77 is dead, gone, not available with GCC 4.1.1.  gfortran is
> >is, IMHO, a good compiler but it has warts and bugs.  Maintaining
> >it in the tree will slow down the availability of bug fixes.
> >Relegating it to ports will allow patches and bug fixes to be
> >incorporate at a much higher rate.
>
> Okay, this I can buy.  How does GCC 4.1 get along with the output of f2c?
> While it's not optimal, an f77 built on it would preserve the existing
> functionality if g77 dies.

First, there is the -ff2c switch.  Second, if it is Fortran and
g77 can compile it, then gfortran should be able to compile it
without problems.  If you want to see a performance comparison
of gfortran 4.1 with other compilers, see

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~tburnus/benchmark/polyhedron05.html

--
Steve