Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:24:07 -0700
On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 02:12:22AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> >In a recent email to freebsd-current,
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-May/063435.html
> >Alexander Kabaev stated that the import of GCC 4.1.1 is coming soon.
> >
> >I propose that Fortran support in the base system be removed
> >when GCC 4.1.1 is imported.
> >

> Nominate an appropriate replacement in ports, and we'll add it to the
> CD package set.  That replacement should then become the default
> dependency in the ports tree.

ports/lang/gfortran

>From the Makefile

MASTERDIR=      ${.CURDIR}/../gcc41/
PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -withfortran
WITH_FORTRAN=   yes

Thus, this gfortran will be the one that is bundled with GCC 4.1.1
by the FSF foundation.  I know this version works (for some definition
of work) on i386 and amd64 FreeBSD.  I don't have access to other
archs for testing.

--
Steve