Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

From: Tarc <tarc_at_tarc.po.cs.msu.su>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 03:13:18 +0400
> Yes, I know.  Now, how many ports need this treatment?
Not many ports really use fortran to build. I don't have and never install fortran (and tcsh). If some port really need f77 (aka g77) I'll install fortran and build this package.

Offtopic: what is about to remove TCSH too, or add it to ports collection?
	I also never build and install TCHS and have found only one port, which depends on this shell: OpenOffice.
	OO doesn't depend on TCSH after install, but I should convet some build files from OO distribution to sh(1) compatiable.

> Do we cleanup the sys.mk file?  Grep for FC, f77, .f
> Do we add .F90, .f90, and .mod?

I think, we should add them, but not remove ... and also add PROG_XXX (or via PROG_LANG) support to bsd.prog.mk.
Becouse <bsd.*.mk> files are very simple to use(but they are not commented well) and when fortran program contains more than one file, it's too hard to simplify your makefiles.

--
   Best regards,
   	Arseny Nasokin