Re: -CURRENT does not recognize standard mount options

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:40:02 -0400
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 11:44 -0400, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 12:30:07PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Should its kernel backend not support all of those options as well?  Or
> > perhaps global_opts in vfs_mount.c should be updated to support all
>
> Can you try this patch?  I'm not sure if "force" and "sync"
> should be global_opts or not because I don't know
> if they make sense for every FS, but for symmetry with what was
> in mount_msdosfs before, we can push them into the filesystem code for msdosfs.
> These inconsistencies between the various mount programs and
> the various filesystem code is why I've been trying to push
> towards using a single mount binary, and pushing the mount option
> parsing into vfs_mount.c and the code for the specific filesystem.
> We are not quite there yet, but we are a lot closer.

This patch fixes the mount problem with sync, but we're left with the
other std mount options (such as [no]atime) not working.  But I get your
point regarding options.  I think the moral is I should eliminate
noatime, sync, and nosymfollow from the list of common mount options for
HAL to use.

> > MNT_STDOPTS options since mntopts.h says that these are options all
> > mounts can understand?  Thanks for the follow up.
>
> The problem is that comments like that were written with a UFS-centric
> view.  It may not necessarily be true that the various filesystems
> support all the "STD" mount options.  However, if you see
> something that you think should work, let me know and we can
> add it to global_opts if it is obvious that it should work for all filesystems,
> or to the option code for a specific filesystem like msdosfs if the
> mount option only works on specific filesystems.

Understood, thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome_at_FreeBSD.org