Re: libpthread shared library version number

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:33:31 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Daniel Eischen wrote:
>> No, in -current we force people to recompile everything.  Plus
>> we have symbol versioning in the libraries most likely to be
>> effected.  If we bump, we should enable symbol versioning at
>> the same time.
>
> I don't see any reason to wait. Remember, we don't support backward/forward
> binary compatibility for binaries compiled for -CURRENT anyway. The only
> reason for this bump is to allow binaries compiled for -STABLE to run on
> -CURRENT, which is not currently possible in the case when binary uses
> pthreads lib.

I'm not saying we should wait; I asked for this a few months ago.
But, I've been informed that the latest gcc should be imported
first because it records dependency information when linking a
shared library to other shared libraries (or something like that).

I think the entire library version bump should be done in one
commit as opposed to just bumping libpthread.

--
DE