Dell 1950 & 2950 with Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T

From: Mr. Man <chinohillsbanditos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:46:29 -0800 (PST)
I've spent the last 2 days on just this problem :/

I recently got a bunch of dell 1950's and 2950's here which come with the Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T.

I am benchmarking with ab (apache bench/mark) to test the speed of a
php file which calls a simple mysql query. When I configure the php
file to use the ip 127.0.0.1 to connect to mysql, it comes out to about
700requests/second. But when I point to its LAN ip 192.168.0.6, it
comes out to 4 requests per second. Thats FOUR... The benchmark
actually sits for a few extra seconds longer than it should as if it
froze.

After tons of testing, im assuming its the network driver.

I've read on these lists that the ethernet card that comes with the new Dell 1950 and
2950 was having problems (as well as the hard drive controller on some
setups)  reporting stuff stuff like watchdog timeouts? I havent seen any
of those though, I thought most of that was fixed around 6.2 Beta2... But I
still am guessing this is the issue. I've updated to the latest sources
last night (Beta3) and it still didn't work. I even went back to an
older? hack driver http://yogurt.org/FreeBSD/if_bce.c to see if it would do anything, but I can't seem to fix it.

So if anyone has any ideas on what the problem is or what to try or anything...it would help a lot...