Re: Handling non-standard directories in tinybsd

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:43:06 +0200
Hi Jean,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:14:20PM -0200, Jean Milanez Melo wrote:
> >What are you thinking about for inclusion of third-party apps on
> >tinybsd ?  I hope it won't bloat too much the code.
> >Are you already expecting to provide it soon ?
> >

> I would like to use pkg_add. Maybe a file called tinybsd.apps and the
> users should add in this file what port name they want to install, so
> it'll copy binaries installation to workdir. Suggestions?

Well, this is a neat idea.  However I think this is not homogeneous in
regard to the current behaviour of TinyBSD: while the base system would
still be included on a per-file basis, library dependencies being
brought in automatically, using pkg_add(1) for third-party apps would
lead to include the whole package, including manpages, documentation,
configuration files along with the binaries.  Moreover, this may not be
a desirable behaviour for an embedded system.

My feeling is that TinyBSD has used the KISS principle so far.  The code
as well as the configuration is somewhat raw (no offence here), but it is
thereby easy to use, debug and modify at needs.  I am going to code this
in my source tree this afternoon and I will be glad to provide you the
patch.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen