Re: KSE, libpthread & libthr: almost newbie question

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:38:14 +1300
Julian Elischer wrote:
> Greg Lewis wrote:
>
>> If you really want to know, just send the running process a SIGQUIT and
>> it will dump the currently running threads to stdout.  But yes, 1.4
>> and 1.5
>> both use "native" threads which correspond 1:1 with OS threads (plus
>> there are threads the JVM creates itself, as you note).  The JVM threads
>> include garbage collection and AWT event handlers at least.
>>

> I gather it doesn't use libpthread, but rather just the syscalls?

I stumbled on link below while doing a little searching on this topic:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/thread-priorities.html

Obviously Solaris and Java centric, but discussed the M:N to 1:1 change
between 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 along with the Java threads <-> lightweight
process representation.

regards

Mark