Re[2]: KSE, libpthread & libthr: almost newbie question

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:00:12 +0300
Hello Julian,

Monday, October 30, 2006, 8:22:39 AM, you wrote:

JE> so, why does it use 1:1 threads?
JE> who knows what the thinking here was?
  I know. I'm working in Java2SE group (runtime) in Sun now :)

  It usese 1:1 threads because primary platform for Java2SE is Solaris, and threading on Solaris is very good (almost perfect). It is cheaper to have 1:1 threads on Solaris (and on Win32, too, BTW), than have additional layer of custom scheduler in JVM. JVM has many thing to do, and it prefer to use system scheduler.
  N:M/1:1 change on Solaris is mostly Solaris change, not Java one: Java uses system default threading.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev_at_FreeBSD.org