Re: atheros driver: countrycode and athdebug

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:07:56 -0700
Daniel Dvořák wrote:
> Hello Sam,
>
> may I ask you for countrycode and how it works. In the madwifi driver,
> currently, their driver does not work with loading the kernel module with
> parametr countrycode=something, but on the madwifi.org web site, there is
> information that this feature worked in past, they remarked it worked until
> new hal 0.9.16.3 was committed to their source tree and it does not work
> until now, when 0.9.17.2 hal is.
>
> http://madwifi.org/ticket/120
>
> I tried to watch the problem on my FreeBSD systems and I found out that in
> the FreeBSD driver, there is not chance to change anything because read-only
> oid.
>
> roztyly# sysctl hw.ath.countrycode=203
> sysctl: oid 'hw.ath.countrycode' is read only
> roztyly# sysctl dev.ath.0.countrycode
> dev.ath.0.countrycode: 0
>
> Is this feature planned for FreeBSD atheros driver in the future ?

You can override the country code but the potential values depends on
the regdomain.  I thought hw.ath.countrycode was r/w but it appears you
can only set via the tunable api (kenv hw.ath.countrycode=XXX).  The
dev.ath mib must be r/o since you cannot (yet) change this after
attaching the device (the driver does not implement it).  Adding support
to do this is not a big deal but hasn't been done; feel free to supply a
patch.

> And  second question about athdebug
>
> It seems it does not work at all, but there are flags or bitmaps defined.
>
> # athdebug -i ath0
> athdebug: sysctl-get(dev.ath.0.debug): No such file or directory
> # athdebug -i ath0 xmit
> athdebug: sysctl-get(dev.ath.0.debug): No such file or directory
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD *.*.* 6.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p5 #5: Tue Aug 29 00:38:54
> CEST 2006      <mailto:stayd_at_bgpcube.jspoj.czf:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BGPCUBE>
> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/mykernel  i386
>
> # cat /usr/src/tools/tools/ath/athdebug/athdebug.c | grep "athdebug.c"
>  * $FreeBSD: src/tools/tools/ath/athdebug/athdebug.c,v 1.2.2.1 2006/01/31
> 20:48:20 sam Exp $
>
> In the madwifi 0.9.1 release, there is propably newer version, could it help
> it to commit ?
>
> # cat /usr/src/madwifi-0.9.1/tools/athdebug.c | grep "athdebug.c"
>  * $Id: athdebug.c 1539 2006-05-05 04:17:59Z jbicket $
>

> Thank you for your hard work.

option ATH_DEBUG is required in your kernel config.  If building as a
module you'll need to patch the Makefile when it creates opt_ath.h (not
sure how avoid this).

	Sam