Re: Adding a '-D date' option to `cat'

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:35:40 -0700
Garance A Drosehn wrote:

> I intend to commit this within a few days, unless there are major
> objections to it.  I am posting this HEADSUP under a new subject,
> so people can dump all kinds of paint over me before I commit it.

I have ignored all the subsequent postings about modifying date to add
completely new functionality that is utterly unrelated to it's purpose
in life.  From the looks of this posting it appears you've chosen cat as
the new victim for this functionality.  This again is wrong; cat is a
filter that concatenates streams of data and does not modify their contents.

I think committing any changes of the sort are wrong-headed and totally
contrary to the way UNIX was designed.  If you want a program that acts
as a filter and adds a timestamp to each line of input it receives
create a new one.  I even have a name for this program: stamp.

	Sam