Re: bge(4) on BCM 5752 A02 panic due to media autoselect

From: Simon L. Nielsen <simon_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:50:06 +0200
On 2006.09.05 16:35:41 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

[BCM5703 really BCM5702 part cut]

> > > Driver fails to start with diagnostic:
> > > bge0: RX CPU self-diagnostics failed!
> >
> > As a followup, I tried backing out only the latest bge(4) changes and
> > now the system (sledge.freebsd.org) works again.  Basically the system
> > responded to ICMP ping, but it seemed all other network trafic didn't
> > work, at least NFS mounts, NTP etc. failed at boot and ssh to the
> > system didn't work.
> >
> > It now works with:
> >
> >      $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c,v 1.140 2006/08/24
> > 14:41:16 oleg Exp $
> >      $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h,v 1.52 2006/08/23
> > 11:32:54 glebius Exp $
> >
> > I can test patches if needed.
>
> I tested with a 5702 A1 card and the v1.141 version still worked for
> me.  Are you using a NIC card or is this a LOM?  If the latter, what
> system is the LOM built into?  This error message indicates that the
> controller was unable to read and load firmware from the NVRAM which
> is usually a real error (unless the system was designed to operate
> without NVRAM which is generally only a few Sun systems).

Oleg already posted the info from MOTD on the system that it's
Rioworks HDAMA motherboard.. Other than that I really don't know much
about the system configuration since I just help adminster it
remotely.

On 2006.09.06 11:22:12 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > > Driver fails to start with diagnostic:
> > > bge0: RX CPU self-diagnostics failed!
> >
> > As a followup, I tried backing out only the latest bge(4) changes and
> > now the system (sledge.freebsd.org) works again.  Basically the system
> > responded to ICMP ping, but it seemed all other network trafic didn't
> > work, at least NFS mounts, NTP etc. failed at boot and ssh to the
> > system didn't work.
> >
> > It now works with:
> >
> >      $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c,v 1.140 2006/08/24
> > 14:41:16 oleg Exp $
> >      $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h,v 1.52 2006/08/23
> > 11:32:54 glebius Exp $
> >
> > I can test patches if needed.
>
> I tried several 5702 NICs with various revisions and was never able to
> duplicate the problem you're seeing.  They all worked correctly with my
> first patch.

Hmm :-/.

> Can you test the attached patch?  I've simply removed the test
> altogether.
> The Linux driver doesn't perform this test and the fact that the
> test is performed after bge_reset() is called simply means we're
> checking the same information twice (i.e. did the NIC firmware
> load).  Since the firmware handshake was successful we know the
> firmware loaded so the test is redundant.

With your patch and if_bge.c 1.143 and if_bgereg.h,v 1.54 the system
now works again.  Thanks.

--
Simon L. Nielsen