Re: Adding a 'D - date' option in 'cat'

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:55:15 -0500
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:23:25PM -0400, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> Not everyone needs a system with all the bells-and-whistles ever
> invented and many want a sysstem that can be made small and compact
> and eliminate things not needed.  That last small BSD I installed
> was on an 800MB drive that left me 400MB user space.   So many
> other OSes just give up when given something that small.

It's not hard to trim it down even further.  My router runs off a 64MB
flash card and has a mostly complete FreeBSD system.  Only big thing I
had to rip out was gcc.

And this is FreeBSD 6.1, not 4.x.  With a full set of man pages!  And
screen, vim, nmap, rsync, and isc-dhcpd added!  And it's still only
using 38MB of the 64!

Okay so I sort of cheated and /usr is compressed with geom_uzip, but it
still amazes me how so much functionality can be contained in such
"little" (by today's standards anyway) space.

Craig