Re: LSI 1030 mpt doesn't work if I build a new kernel

From: Michael Sinatra <michael_at_rancid.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:02:05 -0700
Bruce Burden wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 11:15:23PM -0700, Michael Sinatra wrote:
>> The really awesome news is that this kernel appears to work just fine
>> with an out-of-the-box S2895 with SCSI disks; it requires none of the
>> BIOS gyrations that 6-STABLE still does.
>>
>    Hi Michael,
>
> 	What gyrations are you referring to? I have a Thunder
>    K8WE/S2895 that is running 6.1/i386, and the MPT driver is
>    fine.
>
> 	I do plan to move to 6.1/AMD64 at some point in the near
>    future, so your comment caught my eye. (I am working with the
>    Adaptec 2230SLP RAID controller on a AMD64 system to verify
>    I can control a RAID before switching, as the ASR driver is
>    not supported under AMD64. However, the CD's and tape plus
>    the system disk will use the MPT driver).

6.1/amd64 hangs on boot with the BIOS in the default settings.  To get
it to boot, I have had to go into the BIOS config and:

	o disable IEEE 1394
	o disable the SECOND (slave) on-board ethernet
	o enable bus master on the onboard LSI 1030 MPT

Otherwise, the boot process hangs after the SCSI bus reset.  This
problem does not occur on 7-CURRENT now that the mpt(4) driver has been
fixed.

This was still the case as of a few weeks ago with 6-STABLE/amd64.  I'll
check it again and let you know if anything has changed.

michael