Re: panic: System call old.recv returning with 1 locks held

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:01:18 +0200
On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 05:15:56PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 11:00:03PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Quoting Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org> (Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:43:59 -0400):
> >
> > > Enable DEBUG_LOCKS and DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS then run 'show lockedvnods'
> > > from DDB to find out where the lockmgr lock was acquired.
> >
> > I've enabled them (and WITNESS, INVARIANTS and DIAGNOSTICS) and rebuild
> > the kernel. Not much files where rebuild.
>
> That's a warning sign; almost every file in the kernel should have
> been rebuilt when you turned on WITNESS and INVARIANTS.  Perhaps you
> didn't run 'make depend'?
>
> > show lockedvnods did not show any locks.
>
> Odd, I thought your initial panic was from a held lockmgr lock, so it
> should have showed up here.

In HEAD (not sure if it was MFCed) jhb_at_ added code to track number of
mutexes/sx-locks acquired/released. So bascially this panic can happen
when you leak a lock of any kind.

'show alllocks' has to show them when the kernel (and modules) is
compiled with WITNESS.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org