Re: Removing ports based on library dependency

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:44:40 -0700
Alex Burke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this would seem to be the wrong list for this post.
>
> I want to upgrade one of my FreeBSD boxes running 6.0 to CURRENT. I
> know that this involves rebuilding ports so they link against
> libc.so.7 and all associated libraries.
>
> I guess the small problem is that I really only want to upgrade
> certain ports, since the machine has a ton of stuff I really would
> like to get rid of. I can set those individual port upgrades off
> myself with portmaster. However, I would then want to delete all the
> ports that I didn't upgrade...and presumably that would mean checking
> what was still compiled against libc.so.6

The traditional way to handle a major version upgrade for ports is to delete
all the installed ports, then start over again from scratch (with just the
ports, not reinstalling the whole system). Given what you described above, I
would say that would be the most efficient way to handle your situation
anyways.

What you might want to do is run portmaster -l now, then save the lists of
root and leaf ports. If you then use portmaster to reinstall the ports from
those 2 lists that you are sure you want on your -current system, it will
handle the libraries for you.

hth,

Doug