Re: FreeBSD inquire

From: Graham Todd <gtodd_at_bellanet.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:11:14 -0400
Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:44:49PM -0400, Michael Butler wrote:
>> Is this as a consequence of the manufacturers paranoia that open-source
>> developers won't comply with wifi regulatory requirements (i.e. channel
>> and power restrictions by country) or some other reason? (not that you
>> can't just plug in any other card into the pcmcia slot ..),
>
> It's not manufacturers paranoia - it a requirement from the FCC (among
> others) that radio control must not take place in user-accessible
> software.

How does the FCC define a "user" I wonder?  Is there a difference
between the "user" of software installed on a laptop and the user of the
included hardware and radio equipment that develops said software.

Does someone who writes a loadable kernel module that accesses radio
hardware so that "user" applications can access the Internet have to
assure the regulator of compliance in some way?

It seems like an engineer to engineer sort of matter that might require
lawyer to lawyer interaction :-\

--
Graham Todd - bellanet.org
613.236.6163 #2443