Re: lockf in installworld -- not a good idea

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:22:09 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

>>> A middle-ground solution was easy to implement, and I have a patch for it
>>> if a more clean solution couldn't be found.
>>
>> I'd like to see that in the tree in the near future.  If nothing else, it
>> will speed up installworld in the non-j case, probably measurably (although
>> I've not measured it :-).
>>
> OK, committed to HEAD as bsd.info.mk,v 1.74.

Thanks greatly.  I don't mean to disallow -j in the long term, but I do need
installworld to work in the short term. :-)  I guess I'll just reiterate, for
the sake of rhetorical noise, that the problem appears to be the very concept
of the info directory file, which is the one bit of the info install that
can't be parallelized.  If we can find a way to generate that directory in a
single step, as with man page indexing, then that should fix the problem.

Thanks again,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge