Re: iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:24:15 +0200
Hi, Max,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 06:53:40PM +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> Good catch nontheless.  I updated UPDATING accordingly.
>
> Jeremie, can you provide kern.osreldate and a bit more information about
> your setup?  i.e. what's in your loader.conf?  There have been some
> problems with firmware(9) in the past, that should be taken care of by
> now.  Could you try to update to a more recent current?  Using the
> firmware from base shouldn't hurt either.

kern.osreldate: 700035

Even better:
jarjarbinks:/usr/src:111# cat sys/CVS/Tag
D2007.03.31.04.00.00

Do you think it would be worth upgrading ?  I saw no relevant commit
since yesterday.

I've attached my kernel configuration file.  It starts from GENERIC
and first removes all options/devices I don't need; at the bottom,
I add a couple of options and devices I need.

/boot/loader.conf:
% hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
%
% hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
% debug.cpufreq.lowest=0
% acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
% acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"
%
% beastie_disable="YES"
% verbose_loading="YES"
%
% if_bge_load="YES"
% legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1

Following Florent's advice I began to play with the LKM.  I needed to
stop devd(8) to workaround the "autoreload" bug.  I can then load
if_iwi.ko and iwi_bss.ko in _any order_ without any groan from the
kernel.

However as soon as I start devd(8) or wpa_supplicant(8), the same message
appears:
% iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
% iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss

Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen