Re: Do we need this junk?

From: Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:15:52 -0500
On 4/5/07, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> From: "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Do we need this junk?
> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:39:41 -0500
>
> > On 4/5/07, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > > [-stable removed since it's not relevant there]

> > > Why do you believe anything in the list might need to be removed?
> > >

> > I'd like to also add that 6-STABLE should be the last branch to support:
> > 1. ISA / EISA
>
> Not going to happen.  Maybe EISA, but certainly not ISA, as machines
> made today still need it.
>
> > 2. PC98 Platform.
>
> What do you care?  I mean really, what do you care here.  There are
> Pentium II class machines that are perfectly good in this class of
> machines.  I have one and it runs just fine.
>
> > 3. i486
>
> So you want to kill all the soekris boxes?  Sorry, not going to
> happen.
>
> > 4. i586
>
> These machines still work, and are still popular in the embedded space
> due to their lower power consumption.
>
> Warner

Well based on the stats I've posted maybe it's time to split FreeBSD
i386 into two platforms, one for embedded/legacy systems and one for
modern systems? The needs for each type of system are diametrically
opposed, and the modern ones make up the majority of deployed systems.
Perhaps FreeBSD i786 or IA32, with the minimum target being a
Willamette based Pentium 4, aka SSE2?