Re: Do we need this junk?

From: Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:24:48 -0500
On 4/6/07, Erik Osterholm <erik-freebsd_at_erikosterholm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 03:23:14PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > On 4/6/07, Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >I think some of the frustration people have shown with you is because
> > >you don't seem to appreciate how much this issue is constantly thought
> > >about and how the current state is not just an "accident of history".
> > >
> > >We have a LOT  of old systems running around the world.
> > >

> > But the old systems don't need the latest and greatest copy of
> > FreeBSD! This is why we provide errata / security fixes. The systems
> > are a static non moving target ???
>
> Ah, but old systems are the most likely to see a significant benefit
> from performance improvements.

If you want more performance I have a bunch of i386, i486, pentium,
pentium pro, and pentium II systems you can have, for free (you pay
shipping). For some weird reason people just keep giving them me and
my basement is filled up with them. I can't fined any useful use for
all of them so most stay in the basement collecting dust and rust. The
ones I can use are setup for a particular task and I won't mess with
it unless it breaks.