Re: WOL question

From: Anne Marcel Roorda <marcel_at_piglet.slowthinkers.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:13:33 +0200
In message <42b497160704111336m24249f7axa8b80ba84083bd97_at_mail.gmail.com>, "Kimi
 Ostro" writes:

> On 10/04/07, Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am hoping someone here who has more familiarity with the ACPI
> > code can enlighten me....
> >
> > I have an internal bug filed complaining that FreeBSD disables
> > wake-on-lan on the hardware.
> >
> > Now, I would like to have explicit WOL support added into the
> > em driver, but before I even worry about that I need to understand
> > where the kernel turns this off without the driver even needed.
>
> This isnt specific to em, it also happens on other ethernet cards
> (rl(8) fxp(8)) that support WOL/MagicPacket. Might be idea to check PR
> database see if someone has same problem, maybe fix? it was nice
> installing ports/net/wol and getting a computer to fire up remotely,
> but as soon as it rebooted from FreeBSD, WOL stopped :(

Hi,

  FreeBSD isn't disabling WOL. It needs to be enabled on shutdown
for most cards.

  I have patches for ifconfig, and the xl driver to enable WOL.

  It should be possible to add support to other drivers, but
it's different for each card.

  You should be able to find a diff against 5-stable in the archives.
Changes against -CURRENT aren't _that_ different.

- marcel