Re: CPU utilization

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:04:29 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com> writes:
>> Sure.. dumb question though.. whats the magic cookie to pin
>> something on a cpu.. is it a system call or is there a "shell" tool
>> that will do it?
>
> Neither.  There is a kernel function to tie a thread to a CPU, but it
> is not exported to userland.

I was thinking about the kernel part, but now, thinking more, it's
probably very non-trivial to do. I though that using sched_bind() could
do it, but this only works if there's a specific thread created for some
task - I don't know how can something like 'a network stack', which
consists of myriad of callbacks and asynchrounsly called functions, be
pinned. Sorry for the noise. :)