Re: CPU utilization

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:12:55 -0400
Ivan Voras wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com> writes:
>>> Sure.. dumb question though.. whats the magic cookie to pin
>>> something on a cpu.. is it a system call or is there a "shell" tool
>>> that will do it?
>>
>> Neither.  There is a kernel function to tie a thread to a CPU, but it
>> is not exported to userland.
>
> I was thinking about the kernel part, but now, thinking more, it's
> probably very non-trivial to do. I though that using sched_bind() could
> do it, but this only works if there's a specific thread created for some
> task - I don't know how can something like 'a network stack', which
> consists of myriad of callbacks and asynchrounsly called functions, be
> pinned. Sorry for the noise. :)

Not noise ..

Anything that gives a suggestion on how to tweak things is good.. and
I learn more :-D

I am going to try LOCK_PROFILING next.. on the most drastic
set of differences.. and see what I see..

I have always not liked the sender locks I have in place.. the
reader side worked out real cool.. but the sender did not :-(
May need to re-think these... or I might find some other surprise ;-D

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)