Re: RFC: top displays jail id

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:59:03 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, LI Xin wrote:

> Julian Elischer wrote:
> [...]
>> how about ONLY showing processes in a particular jail?
>
> What about just 'jexec N top'? :-) Currently top(1) has no ability to attach
> particular jail to do things like obtaining usernames from within a jail.
> Personally I think the jexec approach is more useful because it can reveal
> usernames within the jail.

Be aware that if you run the jail's version of top inside the jail, then the
output of top can be controlled by processes in the jail.  Running top from
outside the jail limits the ways in which processes inside jail can manipulate
the monitoring tool.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge