Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:05:17 +0200
I forwarded my mail to gnome_at_ (the HAL maintainers) after sending it and Joe
Marcus Clarke from gnome_at_ had this to say on the issue:

--- snip

This should have been fixed a while ago by jylefort when he set the
default device for ATAPI access to be the ATAPICAM device (as opposed to
the ATA device).  Assuming you have not undone that change, and are
running the latest version of HAL, these panics should not be occurring.

Even still, you're right that these are not HAL bugs, but rather an
issue in the kernel.  I use nautilus-cd-burner to burn CDs in GNOME, and
I have never had such a panic on 6-STABLE.  n-c-b uses cdrecord, cdrao,
and dvd-utils under the covers to do the actual device work.  Not sure
what k3b is using, but maybe it diddles something it shouldn't.

Joe

--- snip

Beni, Robert, Ganbold, are you all in fact running the latest version of the
hal port and do you all have atapicam enabled in your kernel? If not, making
sure of both might help avoiding the problem.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org

attached mail follows:

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I forgot to cc gnome_at_ on my reply. I don't think this is a HAL bug, but just
> FYI.

> Re: [kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?
> From:
> Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
> Date:
> Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:12:46 +0200
> To:
> kde_at_freebsd.org
>
> To:
> kde_at_freebsd.org
> CC:
> Beni <beni_at_brinckman.info>, h.eichmann_at_gmx.de, current_at_freebsd.org,
> stable_at_freebsd.org
>

> On Wednesday, 18. April 2007, Beni wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I think I have a problem with hal(d) and k3b (version 1.0 from ports) : my
>> whole system freezes when starting up k3b. I get the splash screen and then
>> it all stops and a ctrl-alt-del is the only way out.
>
> Other people have reported kernel panics. It looks to me like k3b's device
> probing and hald's device probing at the same time manages to tickle a bug in
> ata(4).
>
> Ref: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/070753.html
>      http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034486.html
>
> I'm afraid a true kernel hacker will have to inconvenince themselves with
> running k3b and hal in order to have this one fixed. FWIW, I haven't seen in
> happening on 5.5.

This should have been fixed a while ago by jylefort when he set the
default device for ATAPI access to be the ATAPICAM device (as opposed to
the ATA device).  Assuming you have not undone that change, and are
running the latest version of HAL, these panics should not be occurring.

Even still, you're right that these are not HAL bugs, but rather an
issue in the kernel.  I use nautilus-cd-burner to burn CDs in GNOME, and
I have never had such a panic on 6-STABLE.  n-c-b uses cdrecord, cdrao,
and dvd-utils under the covers to do the actual device work.  Not sure
what k3b is using, but maybe it diddles something it shouldn't.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome_at_FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome