GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-08-20.patch

From: Constantine A. Murenin <cnst_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:54:22 -0400
Dear freebsd-current_at_,

It is my pleasure to present a Technology Preview patch that ports most
of the base components of OpenBSD's hardware sensors framework to FreeBSD.

Apart from the kernel framework for registering and accessing hardware
sensors, this patch includes the lm(4) driver that supports nearly all
known Winbond Super I/O chips that the majority of PCs have today. It
also includes a patch that converts coretemp(4) driver to the new
framework.

Most noticeably, this patch does not yet include sysctl(8) access to
hardware sensors; however, sensor readings can be conveniently monitored
with systat(1) sensors display and logged with the included sensorsd(8).

(As this project is about porting the framework, no iic(4) drivers were
or will be ported from OpenBSD at this time -- however, if you are
willing to port some drivers and need help with sensors framework, let
me know.)

Apply to FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT as of 2007-08-20 by doing:

	cd /usr/src
	fetch
http://p4web.freebsd.org/depot/projects/soc2007/cnst-sensors/cnst-sensors.2007-08-20.patch
	mkdir  sys/dev/lm  sys/modules/lm  usr.sbin/sensorsd
	patch < cnst-sensors.2007-08-20.patch

More details, including some installation instructions, are available in
my LJ:

	http://cnst.livejournal.com/34170.html

Cheers,
Constantine,
Google Summer of Code 2007 Student _at_ The FreeBSD Project. :)