Re: Cisco PIX/ASA VPN client

From: Matthew Grooms <mgrooms_at_shrew.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:57:50 -0500
> 21.08.07, 00:00, Craig Boston (cb_at_severious.net) wrote:
>
> Thank you very much, Craig,
>
> I've removed IPSEC options from my kernel config
> and now vpnc works fine for me!
> The only thing I need to know: if CURRENT IPSec and
> vpnc are completely incompatible? If so, how to reproduce
> the vpnc behaviour using IPSec?

You can try the ipsec tools racoon software which uses kernel ipsec
protocol support and can communicate with cisco gateway products.

As an alternative, you are welcome to give my ike software a try which
also uses kernel ipsec protocol support. It is a port of an ike daemon
and qt/gui front end applications originally written for a win32 client.
I use it quite regularly to connect to a cisco ASA and supports FreeBSD,
NetBSD and Linux platforms. Although it hasn't been tested much on
current, it certainly works well with a 6.2 release ( w or w/o NAT-T
patches ).

The open source licensed code can be had from the following subversion
repository ( see README.TXT for build and usage details ) ...

svn://svn.shrew.net/ike/head

... a few screenshots ( 2 Win32, 1 FreeBSD ) for the curious ...

http://www.shrew.net/?page=software

I have a FreeBSD ports entry for this as well that I need to submit.

-Matthew