RE: anyone have experience with HighPoint RocketRaid 2340 + zfs?

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:21:17 +0200
Sverre Svenningsen wrote:

> All the trouble i've had with the promise Sata300 tx4 cards and zfs
> on -current is making me think of buying an upgrade, and this pci-e
> x8 sata raid card looks like it makes sense.. it has official driver
> support for freebsd 6.2, but it seems to only come as a precompiled
> kernel module.. will that work on a -current kernel?
>
> I'd love to hear from anyone using one of these cards - it's
> not that
> expensive especially for 16 ports, but i don't want to buy another
> dud card :)

I have both a 2320 and a 2340, and they seem to work as expected under
6-STABLE (i386) with the driver provided by HighPoint. I've only had one
major problem so far, and I think the end result (lost data) was due to
a combination of stupidity on my part (replacing the wrong drive) and a
firmware bug relating to sector repair in RAID-5 that has now been
fixed.

Scott Long has said that he is working with HighPoint to get the 2340
driver into the tree (and the updated 2320 driver).

/Daniel Eriksson