Re: -current cross compile for -stable

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:09:09 +0300
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enig48F6C2E304EEEC8358233324
>
> Danny Braniss wrote:

> >> There's no reason to - if you want to build RELENG_6 on a 7.x box, you=
>
> >> should have RELENG_6 chroot to do so.  You'll just keep running into
> >> problems as we don't support builds the way you're trying.
> >=20
> > one of the things that attracted me to FreeBSD was the fact that I coul=
> d=20
> > cross-compile. I always, till now, used a RELENG as a base (solid? :-) =
> > build CURRENT, but now, so close to releases, I decided to try the othe=
> r way,
> > just before upgrading.
> >=20
> > So now I have some questions:
> > 	- Is documented !=3D supported?
> > 	- is building on a RELENG for CURRRENT ok?
>
> I think there is some misunderstanding.  The supported way is to
> "upgrade", means to compile -CURRENT for instance, from a RELENG base;
> the reverse, however, is not well "supported".  The "official" way to
> cross compile older sources on a newer world is to create a chroot
> environment.

(I think I also have to upgrade my MUA)

ok, I'ts clearer now, and I understand the logic, one has to build the 1st
floor
before building the 2nd. etc, etc. but the other way, backward compatability,
would have been nice too. in any case, it's solved - for the time being, for
me.

cheers,
	danny

anyways, thanks.