Re: Encrypted zfs?

From: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck_at_rinet.ru>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:35:50 +0400 (MSD)
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

PJD> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:34:11PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
PJD> > How's the performance on the geli-backed pool ?
PJD>
PJD> It depends a lot on CPU speed, but you should be ready for visible
PJD> performance drop. I'll give you two examples:

[examples snipped]

PJD> But don't you worry, when you must have encryption, you don't really
PJD> care about performance. And when you decided not to use encryption,
PJD> because it introduces too big overhead, it only means that you didn't
PJD> need encryption in the first place:)

Well, I suppose most usage patterns imply that only part of data really needs
encryption (as only part really needs copies>1 or compression), hence it would
be *extremely* useful if one can ``zfs set encryption=on tank/home/joe''
(could it be done via pluggable geom modules or something?)

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:				     marck_at_FreeBSD.org ]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck_at_rinet.ru ***