Re: Encrypted zfs?

From: Graham Todd <gtodd_at_bellanet.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:38:07 -0400
Christian Walther wrote:
> Nathan Butcher wrote:
>> Yep, using GELI the providers is much better.
>> I decided to go one step further and run GLABEL on my drives so my ZFS
>> pool will be immune from device enumeration issues (assuming I move the
>> drives between systems, SATA raid cards, etc.) [...]
>
> AFAIK zfs is immune against device enumeration issues itself. There is a
> nice video on YouTube showing Sun engineers setting up a ZFS pool on a
> bunch of USB sticks. Afterwards they remove all of them, shuffle them,
> and put them back in. No problem.
> (It's in german and a translation is still missing. But the talk is
> stupid anyway, and the acting of the engineers, too.)
> This works on FreeBSD, too.

As long as you "umount" the filesystem before you pull that USB key?
Presumably panicking when a filesystem disappears is a limitation of
both UFS and ZFS on FreeBSD :-)

> I moved one of my disks to another controller.
> ZFS recognised it on reboot. Really nice. :-)

Truly having ZFS on FreeBSD *is* really nice. It's amazing how many
people are testing and using it at this relatively early stage -
probably more on FreeBSD than on Solaris!

Kudos and thanks to Pavel for this work.