Re: Encrypted zfs?

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:01:17 +0000
Nathan Butcher wrote:
> Yep, using GELI the providers is much better.
>
> I decided to go one step further and run GLABEL on my drives so my ZFS
> pool will be immune from device enumeration issues (assuming I move the
> drives between systems, SATA raid cards, etc.)
> [...]

AFAIK zfs is immune against device enumeration issues itself. There is a
nice video on YouTube showing Sun engineers setting up a ZFS pool on a
bunch of USB sticks. Afterwards they remove all of them, shuffle them,
and put them back in. No problem.
(It's in german and a translation is still missing. But the talk is
stupid anyway, and the acting of the engineers, too.)
This works on FreeBSD, too. I moved one of my disks to another
controller. ZFS recognised it on reboot.
Really nice. :-)