Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

From: Josh Paetzel <josh_at_tcbug.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:05:12 -0600
On Monday 26 November 2007 06:34:08 pm Barney Cordoba wrote:

> Ah, we tested an early 6.2 and it didn't come up in
> SATA mode. Well thats promising. If we can just figure
> out what's wrong with 7 now. Hopefully Soren can
> figure out what might have changed.
>
> Barney

I've got extensive experience trying to make the H8SSL-i work under load.
I've tried RELENG_6_2, RELENG_6 and RELENG_7 at various points in time, using
either the onboard SATA and gmirror or PCI-X 9550SE 3wares.

My results are:  Given enough time and load every combination has hung.

My best results:  RELENG_6_2 with the 3ware cards.  I can get 2 weeks out of a
box at moderate load on average before it panics.

Worst results:  Tied between RELENG_7 with the 3ware cards and RELENG_6_2 with
the onboard SATA in native SATA mode.  Data corruption is so bad installation
is generally not possible.

I can probably manage SSH + serial console access to anyone who wants to take
a crack at fixing for a while with whatever combination of hardware and
FreeBSD version you want.  We're in the process of migrating off them, which
will leave some hardware laying around for a couple weeks.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB