Re: Run Current on a MacBook

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:30:25 -0500
On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 17:30 +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> eculp wrote:
> > I am a half step away from buying a MacBook based on the following
> > assumptions:
> >
> >   1. I should run current and it has the SMP problem fixed.
>
> The fix was not yet committed.
>
> >   2. It can be dual booted between OSX and FreeBSD?
> >      a. The handbook only mentions that it can be run as a guest OS.
>
> The handbook doesn't mention anything about running FreeBSD on a
> MacBook. You probably want to read http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook
>
> >      b. Is there a short list to run both OS's I've done this with
> >         windows many times over the years but I have on idea where to
> >         start with Mac.  Example: Clean the disk and start with FBSD
> >         or somehow compress the MacOSX file system and use the rest
> >         for BSD, etc. etc.
>
> * Partition your drive witht Bootcamp
> * Install rEFIt. http://refit.sf.net/
> * Boot FreeBSD install CD and install it to the desired partition. Don't
> install an MBR boot manager.
> * Sync your MBR with the GPT by using the refit tool (available in the
> refit boot menu).

I've tried this procedure twice now, and the results are the same: even
after selecting "None" for the boot manager, by GPT gets overridden with
an MBR.  Almost everything works fine after that.  rEFIt allows me to
boot into MacOS X or FreeBSD, but the gptsync tool does not work, and I
couldn't upgrade to Leopard until I re-partitioned my drive (which I
did, and ended up right back with an MBR after installing FreeBSD).

If there's some trick to this I'm missing, I'd love to know before
"Puma" comes out.

Joe