Re: Run Current on a MacBook

From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:30:36 +0000
eculp wrote:
> I am a half step away from buying a MacBook based on the following
> assumptions:
>
>   1. I should run current and it has the SMP problem fixed.

The fix was not yet committed.

>   2. It can be dual booted between OSX and FreeBSD?
>      a. The handbook only mentions that it can be run as a guest OS.

The handbook doesn't mention anything about running FreeBSD on a
MacBook. You probably want to read http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook

>      b. Is there a short list to run both OS's I've done this with
>         windows many times over the years but I have on idea where to
>         start with Mac.  Example: Clean the disk and start with FBSD
>         or somehow compress the MacOSX file system and use the rest
>         for BSD, etc. etc.

* Partition your drive witht Bootcamp
* Install rEFIt. http://refit.sf.net/
* Boot FreeBSD install CD and install it to the desired partition. Don't
install an MBR boot manager.
* Sync your MBR with the GPT by using the refit tool (available in the
refit boot menu).

It's tricky, but easy.

>   3. I should probably run the AMD64 version of Current?

Yes, newer MacBooks have EM64T extensions (i.e. amd64), so you should
use FreeBSD/amd64.

> Thanks for any input and suggestions even a "Don't do it for certain
> reasons". This is totally uncharted territory for me.
>
> Have a great day,

Good luck!

--
Rui Paulo