Re: Announcing pkg_search

From: Garrett Cooper <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:25:44 -0800
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "Denise H. G." <darcsis_at_gmail.com> (from Mon, 03 Dec 2007
> 21:21:32 +0800):
>
>> Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm_at_mathematik.uni-marburg.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I am not really sure if this is the appropriate list ... if its not,
>>> please redirect me to the right one.
>>>
>>> I wrote a small script called pkg_search to help me searching my local
>>> ports tree for a port/package without using "make search name=" or
>>> something like freshports.org.  Its not a big deal, but it eases my
>>> daily pkg_add life a bit :)
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am also interested in `pkg_install' tools. A couple of weeks ago I
>> planned to rewrite the `pkg_install' tools from scratch. And first of
>
> I hope you are aware of the Google Summer of Code 2007 project with
> the goal to improve the pkg_* stuff...
>
> http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/soc2007/revised%5ffbsd%5fpkgtools&HIDEDEL=YES
>

> Bye,
> Alexander.

Yes, I know that I'm slow in this regard but I was much busier this
summer compared to what I originally expected. I started work on it
again, but I need to get through finals and some final projects first
before fully dedicating more time to revising pkg_install (last quarter
of school).

All of my work that I'm continuing on (somewhat jumbled up right now),
exists within v2 under the depot page that Alexander provided above..
libpkg is much better design-wise than the current pkg_install
implementation..

-Garrett